The Opening Ceremony of the Olympic Games is always a sight to see. The world’s nations are represented in the hopeful faces of the best athletes from each country and in the colorful flags that capture the stories of their people. The hard work and dedication of the athletes is an inspiration to children and adults alike, and a source of pride for people everywhere. It is a time to celebrate patriotism, performance, and pageantry; and it’s a time to come together.
Becoming an Olympian takes intense dedication to sport, fitness, and self-care. But you don’t need to be an Olympian to eat a diet rich in fruits and vegetables. And you don’t have to give up taste to eat healthy. Here’s a delicious and healthy salad recipe worthy of even the most elite athletes. Gather your friends and family and share this dish at your own Opening Ceremony celebration.
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 2 pounds medium zucchini, trimmed
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup nuts of your choice (almonds, pine nuts or walnuts are best), toasted
- Small wedge of Parmesan cheese
Whisk oil, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon coarse salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and crushed red pepper in small bowl to blend. Set dressing aside.
Using vegetable peeler or V-slicer and working from top to bottom of each zucchini, slice zucchini into ribbons (about 1/16 inch thick). Place ribbons in large bowl. Add basil and nuts, then dressing; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Using vegetable peeler, shave strips from Parmesan wedge over salad.
We recommend pairing it with our Original Crystal Geyser Sparkling Water.