Leading a healthy lifestyle is an ongoing process. If you are making a change, finding ways to stay motivated through the ups and downs of maintaining a healthy lifestyle can be challenging. Use these five tips to keep you going.
- Create a journal. It’s a great way to track your progress and it’s empowering to see how far you have come, which motivates you to keep going harder. Express the highs and lows of your journey to look back on when you need that extra push. A journal also keeps you accountable to reach the goals you have set for yourself. Whether it’s controlling your weight, strengthening your bones, enhancing your muscles, your journal will act as a reminder of the benefits of all your hard work.
- Put on workout clothes. Putting on workout clothes helps you get into the mood to go for that run you’ve been dreading. It is one less thing standing in your way. A tip for potential early bird: consider trading your PJs for workout clothes. For those morning workout days that are flying by because of the snooze button, try this simple change to make getting up a tad easier.
- Try group fitness. Working out in a group maximizes you motivation as well as your support system. Need some extra oomph to keep you going? You can feed off the energy of the camaraderie as well as pushing yourself a little harder. A little competition can be a great motivator.
- Give yourself micro-challenges. Challenge yourself daily or set one that you strive towards for the week. Having a daily step goal or a particular exercise as your daily goal will not only keep you focused, the satisfaction of accomplishing your goal will motivate you even more.
- Listen to audio books or podcasts. Sometimes running can be monotonous. Listening to a story will help keep your mind busy. Make it a point to only listen while running or exercising. That way you will be excited to hear what happens next and go running more often.